Dallas DWI Attorney – Articles

Alcohol and Insurance

Following a conviction for DWI or DUI, your car insurance rates are probably going to take a turn for the worse. They will get more expensive. You will be requested to provide something called SR-22 insurance and your rates will go up for at least three years.

It doesn’t matter if the state you are in calls it DUI or DWI. If you get a conviction for either offense, your insurance rates will increase before you are allowed to drive again.


Licensing agencies for the states are most likely going to require proof of SR-22 insurance for your automobile before they allow you to get your driving privileges back.

Almost every insurance carrier will be able to get you a SR-22 form and possibly provide insurance for the vehicle as well. But, your premiums could potentially double and even possibly triple depending on the state you live in.

This is because your carrier, once you request SR-22 insurance, will consider you to be a high risk driver. If you had previous discounts for not having any claims or tickets before the changes in your premiums could be dramatic.

If you are convicted of DWI or DUI it may be very beneficial to shop around; there are various insurance companies that specialize in high-risk policies. You could get a separate policy for the vehicle that needs SR-22 and another policy for your other vehicles.

It is important to note that not all insurance companies offer SR-22 insurance. If you are convicted of DWI or DUI and your company does not offer SR-22, the company will probably cancel or not renew your current policy. Yet another reason to find a company that specializes in high risk policies is that if your carrier cancels your coverage you will have a cancellation on your claims history which will drive up the price of your premiums.

How Long Will Your Rates Increase From A DWI/DUI Conviction

Generally a DWI/DUI conviction will affect your insurance rates for the next three years after your conviction following a first offense. If you are convicted for a DWI 2nd or 3rd , the length of time is much longer.

Is There A Way To Avoid An Increase In Rates

The easiest answer to this question is not avoid driving for the period of time your rates would increase. If you do not wish to have your driving privileges returned you will not need new insurance.

However, even if you simply want to have the option to drive, just having this option to drive will cost you. You will be required to have the SR-22 insurance even if you do not own a car.

The best way to avoid increased insurance premiums in the long run is very easy. Use a designated driver. Call a taxi. It’s much cheaper.

Our iPhone App Our Android App
Confidential Free Case Evaluation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.