How Alcohol Affects Your Body

While ancient cultures drank alcohol because it provided sterilization for their beverages, now people primarily drink alcohol for the feelings that it gives them. Alcohol is often called a social lubricant that makes most people feel more relaxed, but too many drinks can leave you uncoordinated and erase your memory. However, how exactly does alcohol achieve these effects?

One way that alcohol affects your body is by giving you a false confidence, making you think that you can drive when you may have lost the coordination to do so. In these cases, you may be stopped for driving while intoxicated, an offense that can remain on your record forever. If you have been charged with a DWI/DUI and need legal aid in dealing with this offense, you should contact the experienced Dallas DWI/DUI attorney Mark T. Lassiter today at (214) 845-7007.

The Initial Absorption Process

When you drink, the alcohol enters your gastrointestinal system just like everything else you consume. From here, about 20% of the beverage is absorbed by the stomach, while the remaining 80% enters the bloodstream through the intestines. This is why eating a full meal can increase your alcohol tolerance — the food can help slow down the rate at which your stomach and intestines absorbs the alcohol.

Alcohol in Your Brain

Once in the bloodstream, alcohol travels up to your brain. Here, it interferes with the nerve cells and their control over the rest of your body. Typically, nerves release neurotransmitters that either excite or inhibit another nerve or muscle. Normally, there is a balance of the two in order to keep your body functioning regularly.

However, alcohol works to increase the effectiveness of inhibitors, which means that exicitatory neurotransmitters do not work as well. This is what makes you feel sluggish and relaxed.

Contact Us

Because of the way alcohol affects your brain, you may decide to drive even though your reaction speed and coordination are not sharp enough to do so. If you have made this decision, resulting in a DWI/DUI, you should contact the Dallas DWI/DUI lawyer Mark T. Lassiter at (214) 845-7007 today to discuss your legal options.


Our iPhone App Our Android App
Confidential Free Case Evaluation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.